Saturday, May 16, 2009

"Crime and Punishment"

Today was an interesting day filled with eye opening experiences and truth revolving the community of West Palm. Today was the designated day for Chris and I to have staff training. What I didn't know was that I would be taking a tour of inner city West Palm, visiting the neighboring community that the kids come from. When most of us think of West Palm we envision luxury homes, beaches, and a image that caters to the rich, but what a lot of people fail to see is the injustice done to reach that image. We drove around in what has been termed "the projects"and I learned about the history of the people affect by this rise in image, that is, the abuse and discrimination these people faced to make West Palm what it is today. I leaned that people lost their homes to arson (done by the city), murders, drugs( city officials have a hand in), and the lack of concern of the police for the people. What it all comes down to is the fact that a lot of black people are forced to live in the slums and if they don't have a life their you will most likely find them behind bars. I pray that your eyes be open to the injustice in the world around you because it makes this world even less attractive. I also pray that you have compassion to step outside and make a change with the God given gifts that were loaned to you.
God bless you all keep Chris and I in your prayers

No comments:

Post a Comment